Monday, September 8, 2014

Nostalgia

We're packing up to move again this weekend. Though our new home is only 20 miles from our current locale, I can't help the feelings of nostalgia that come from these types of transitions.

We moved to Texas a year ago after two short months of marriage. I've been a bit of a drifter since 2007, and spending more than a few months in one place has been hard for me to adjust to over the past couple of years. The idea of moving halfway across the country with my love wasn't really difficult for me to grasp because I love to be on the move. If I could make a living owning nothing but what fits in a suitcase and traveling the world, I'd do it. I suppose I technically could, but that sort of lifestyle is easier to maintain while single.

I did my fair share of solo travel while in college, and I've been overseas a couple of times (once for an extended time), but I didn't do nearly as much international travel as I wish I had in college. Now when I meet 18-19 year old kids, one of the first things I tell them is to get out of this country. Every trip I've taken has been worth every penny. They need to see how other people live.

But I digress. This post really only came about because of my favorite Brad Paisley song, Southern Comfort Zone. If you've ever spent a significant amount of time away from home (in another country especially), this song hits hard. I loved the months I spent overseas. Like most, I look back on them with rose-colored glasses, forgetting (or purposefully ignoring) the struggles while there. Those months changed me in ways I can still feel. Part of my heart will always be there.

I find it interesting how the definition of home expands and shifts throughout our lives. Before I got married, I had one "real" home, my parents, and I had "where I lived at the moment." While home is still and always will be Alabama, my real home is wherever my husband is. For now, that means home is a small Texas town. Bouts of wanderlust hit (I feel it almost constantly), but no matter where they take me, I'll return home with him.

Knowing home is where he is has been one of the happiest feelings I've ever known.


<3 Jenni

No comments:

Post a Comment